The Cisco analytical company has just published its Annual Internet Report, from which we can learn how it believes the issue of network access will change in the coming years.
The Cisco report provides detailed information covering almost all aspects of network access, so we can look at different sectors (entertainment, small and medium business, public and service providers), types of internet (wired, wireless, mobile) or forecasts of global trends, i.e. the scale of increase in network access, the number of mobile users, connected devices or even the performance of the networks available to them.
Thanks to this, we know that by 2023 the number of Internet users will increase by 5.3 billion, i.e. 66% of the population, which means a large increase from 3.9 billion in 2018. As for the number of devices connected to the network, it is estimated that there will be three times as many as people in the world, and more specifically 3.6 users per user. In total, this is to result in 29.3 billion devices connected to the Internet, while in 2018 it was 18.4 billion. Nearly three quarters of this number will be consumer devices, because it is estimated that by 2023 the consumer segment will be responsible for 74%, leaving the remaining 26% to business.
It is also worth noting that at this time we should also note an increase in access to mobile communications - Cisco estimates that by 2023 the number of mobile users will increase from 5.1 billion in 2018 (66% of the population) to 5.7 billion (71% of the population ). And what about 5G connectivity, which is just taking its first steps? Analysts predict that by 2023, 10% of mobile devices and connections will use it. The number of mobile devices will increase from 8.8 billion in 2018 to 13.1 billion, of which 1.4 billion will be devices supporting 5G connectivity.
There is also good news when it comes to speeds - broadband speeds are to be twice as fast, reaching 110.4 Mbps, mobile even 3 times faster with an average speed of 43.9 Mbps (and when it comes to 5G, it should be 13 times faster than the average mobile internet speed and reach 575 Mbps), similar to Wi-Fi, where by 2023 we can expect an increase to 92 Mbps.
Cisco also says that by 2023 we will download a total of nearly 300 million applications, and the most popular will be social, gaming and business ones. Unfortunately, like all other issues, the number of hacker attacks and violations will also increase - analysts predict that we will see an increase in DDoS attacks from 7.9 billion in 2018 to 15.4 million in 2023.